|Photo with permission Industrial Hemp Association of Qld Inc|
Then on facebook I saw this page Cloth Nappies at Sustainable Hemp Products and it peaked my curiosity.
When you look at the picture above of the hemp crop and then look at these beautiful items it is hard to believe they were made from this material.
They also have their own label, "Born of Nature"and manufacture a range of baby, toddler and children's clothing, nappy (diaper) accessories and women's cloth menstrual pads made from hemp and organic bamboo.
- The first American flag was made from hemp
- George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew hemp
- Thomas Jefferson actually drafted the Declaration of Independence on hemp paper
- Ben Franklin owned a mill that made paper from hemp
- The original Levi heavy-duty pants that were made for the California 49'ers were made from rugged hemp sailcloth and rivets
- Rembrandt and Van Gogh painted on hemp canvas
I also found this video incredibly interesting as it went through all the different things that hemp is used for. It really opened up my eyes and my mind.